Sunday, December 12, 2010

My Review of Crayola Glow Color Explosion

Originally submitted at Toys R Us

Crayola Glow Color Explosion. Create colorful, glowing creations. Patented colored Glow technology. Provides an empowering and magical new way to create a glowing coloring experience! Open ended creativity - create free form designs and glowing signs.

From its earliest beginnings, Cra...

Do not buy!

By Lulu from Massachusetts on 12/12/2010


1out of 5

Cons: Messy, Poor Quality, Poor Color Variety, Runs Out Quickly

Best Uses: Trash

Describe Yourself: Child Care Provider

Primary use: Personal

Was this a gift?: Yes

I grew up trusting Crayola. When I had my own kids, I would give them Crayola products over others, as I trusted their conformity to non-toxicity. Not anymore. My son received this kit for the 7th night of Hanukkah (Tuesday) from my mother-in-law, and promptly set it aside. (He has never been very interested in crafts.) After we had gone to bed, my daughter, who is interested in crafts, took it to her room and opened and used it. The smell filled her room, and his. She put the spinner at my son's feet. When I got near it, the smell was near blinding. I promptly packed up the entire set, even the scraps and sealed it into some Ziploc bags. The smell was scary strange and persistent, but I reassured myself: Crayola can't label something non-toxic if it actually is, right? The next day, my son, who is sensitive and has allergies, began having strange symptoms. First a rash started on his back. Then his hands and feet itched. Then he broke out in hives and an all over rash. I took him to the doctor Friday. Hives may be from an allergy or virus. She asked me what new thing he had been exposed to, but I had forgotten the product already. After all, Crayola is non-toxic, right? That night his hands and feet HURT. We took him back to the doctor Saturday. She said hives can make your extremities hurt. Tonight his rash is a tiny bit better, but his ankles hurt so much he is walking funny. I have been racking my brains trying to figure out what he is having a reaction to; then I remembered when it started. I just packed the kit into ANOTHER plastic bag and removed it from the house to the garage (in case the doctor wants to see it tomorrow.) I will be calling his allergist tomorrow. He has NEVER had hives this bad, even after being attacked by wasps. Though the rest of us did not get sick, the smell was so foul, I wouldn't dare bring another Crayola chemical into my house again. Shame on you, Crayola!


No comments:

Post a Comment