Friday, February 11, 2011

PBS and NPR were lost to me years ago

My liberal and progressive "friends" (and some real ones, too) are urging me to take action to save NPR/PBS from Republican hatchet men. I can't be bothered, and I have three words explanation as to why not: Mobil Masterpiece Theater.

Actually, I have many more words than that. In the run up to the invasion of Iraq we took to calling NPR "National Petroleum Radio" because it was right on the "ask the general" band wagon with every other news outlet, and was taking the WoMD story exactly as it was handed down to the press by the administration.

And I don't want my tax money going to fund reporting "both sides" of the political "debate", either. The right already has enough media coverage. I don't want to fund with taxes one second more, even in the name of this "fairness" The fact that PBS/NPR's funding can be threatened with cuts when ever it leans even slightly to the left is exactly what makes it no longer any more relevant than MSNBC.

I stopped "listening" to PBS years ago the night Frontline showed a report that the nuclear power industry was getting a bum rap, that nukes aren't at all dangerous. Every time I flip to PBS it's showing Riverdance or Three Tenors or Celtic Woman. Rarely, I catch one of its science programs. Those play like corporate PR reels. Read this from the PBS website (your tax dollars paid for this): http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/harvest/interviews/grant.html

100% Monsanto propaganda. Please, just read the PBS site. It is PACKED with stuff like the Monsanto piece. Why does the COO of Monsanto need good press anyway? Merely to counter the truth, that they are trying to control all food every where on earth? By being perceived as liberal, PBS gives credence to Monsanto in the eyes of the left. That is very perilous. Liberals are writing to me when I post against GMO alfalfa that only bio technology can save the planet from starvation. That is horseshit, and you all know it as well as I do; it's straight out of the agro-bio-tech propaganda hand book. PBS and NPR are to blame for the dissemination of these lies among the left. They are more than irrelevant. They are dangerous.

I'd rather have every penny of my percentage of tax money that goes to the public system in my pocket so that I can give it to the media I choose, media that does some actual investigative reporting and educating.

So thanks Republicans for saving us some money and for cutting a vital conduit for corporate propaganda into the psyche of the left. Regarding the money you save the taxpayer? I'll take a check, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment